Friday, February 27, 2009

The end of February

So February comes to an end and it is also the end of my stalling on training. I have reveled in saying no to long rides or routes that I just don't feel like doing. But at the same time, I have started planning routes in my head that will take at least 6 hours to complete.

That's a good sign. It means that my parameters are adjusting to the idea of more time in the saddle. And with it, comes the motivation to train.

What I can't decide is whether or not to get a coach to help me. The difficulty as I see it, is that there are so few people who can grasp the magnitude of the event which is so beyond mere cycling. How do you train for an adventure which encompasses all that it means to be human?

And to reduce preparation down to so many hours on a bike each week, with a splash of interval training thrown in just doesn't seem right. Even the Cape Epic does not fall into this category of preparation.

I am relying on my fellow riders especially those that have gone before to provide me with advice and I will draw on my years of adventure racing too. I was privileged to meet wonderful human beings on last year's R2R and the insights gained from their attitudes and generosity of spirit will definitely get me through this.

But for now, there is a bike waiting to be ridden, routes to be explored and new friends to be made. Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment